The month of April is designated as National Stress Awareness Month. Stress makes its way into most of our lives, whether we are conscious of it or not. It’s bad for your health and wellness, including your appearance and beauty. This month, our cosmetic team encourages you to take stock of how often stress shows up in your life and what you can do to reduce it.
Stress can lead to:
- Skin redness and flushing
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Discoloration, rashes, and other skin problems caused by a vulnerable immune system
- Gray hair
- Skin dullness
- Frown lines if your stress is causing you to furrow your brow more often
In addition, stress increases your risk for heart disease, heart attack, stroke, depression, anxiety, and other serious health problems. It’s a good idea to reduce stress when you can! Here are a few tips:
- Talk to a therapist or other mental health professional about stress management techniques
- Don’t take on more obligations than you can handle
- Prioritize time for self-care, including your favorite hobbies, spending time with friends and family, and taking time to do things you enjoy
- Recommit to a healthy sleep schedule and practice sleep hygiene (don’t use electronic devices for at least an hour before bed, make sure the room is dark, don’t consume caffeine or alcohol too close to bedtime)
- Get regular exercise, preferably half an hour of vigorous exercise daily
- Practice meditation, yoga, and other stress-relieving activities
- Ask for help when you are feeling overextended
Your doctor or a mental health professional can provide further guidance on stress management.
Sometimes years of stress leave their mark on your face and body. Cosmetic surgical treatments provided by our experienced plastic surgeons may reverse some of these issues:
- Liposuction removes stubborn excess fat that may be lingering from previous weight gain
- Injectables soften fine lines and wrinkles, and restore facial volume and hollows
- A facelift reduces sagging, drooping skin along the jawline and lower face
- Non-surgical lasers and light treatments rejuvenate your skin and entire facial appearance
These are just a few of the treatments that may be well-suited to your goals and there are many more. During a one-on-one consultation, our plastic surgeons will make sure you know all of your options.
To arrange your consultation at American Surgical Arts in Mullica Hill, please call our team at 856-362-8898.