Laser hair removal lets you have smooth, silky skin while reducing (and sometimes eliminating) the need to shave. This innovative laser treatment has been around for decades and with good reason – it’s so much more convenient to throw on your summer shorts or a skirt without first taking the time to shave.
But what do you have to do to prepare? Fortunately, not much! In the days and weeks leading up to treatment, you will:
- Stop tanning. Tanning – whether in a tanning bed, out in the sun, or with tanning creams – must be avoided for roughly 4 weeks before your appointment. Tanning increases melanin in the skin, and it is melanin and dark pigment that the laser targets. Therefore, tan skin can make it more difficult for the laser to differentiate and effectively target the hair follicle.
- Let us know about any medications you are taking. We want to know about any antibiotics, supplements, retinol, birth control, or any other medication you have been taking or are taking regularly. You may not necessarily need to stop taking it, but we may adjust your treatment to account for skin sensitivity.
- Don’t wax, get electrolysis, or otherwise remove hair roots in the weeks before your appointment. The laser needs the hair follicle to be present in order to remove it and reduce its regrowth. If you wax or use other methods that remove the hair, the laser won’t have anything to target.
- Do shave the day before. Shaving doesn’t remove the hair follicle. In fact, it may make the darker follicle more apparent to the laser, and shaving also reduces the risk of burning by removing the hair above the skin.
After the treatment, you can expect to:
- Use a cold compress or ice pack to reduce swelling and mild discomfort
- Stay out of the sun, do not tan, and apply sunscreen to your legs for at least 4 weeks
- Apply medicated creams as instructed
- Shave the next day if you wish, as long as the skin isn’t too red or irritated
Most people need more than 1 treatment session to get ideal hair reduction results. These appointments will be spaced at least 4 to 6 weeks apart.
The process for laser hair removal is actually quite convenient! To arrange your consultation in Mullica Hill, please call American Surgical Arts at 856-362-8898.